The one thing that we have become of sure of in the first two weeks if 2018 is that every smartphone maker will be looking to strengthen its roots in the budget segment, irrespective of where they currently stand.
For the unknown, the company launched the Sachin branded srt.phone which went head-to-head against the likes of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 and Moto G5 in India. Now, the company wants to target an even more competitive segment which has seen a huge rise due to the increasing number of first-time smartphone users.
With the Smartron t.phone P, the approach is simple. Offer the most intriguing package at an affordable price. However, the mantra of success has changed in this segment and whether Smartron t.phone P offers something new to attract huge sales numbers, is something we have to look out for.
The biggest USP of Smartron t.phone P is the huge 5000mAh battery and a tried and tested hardware package, but is it enough to challenge the likes of Micromax Canvas Infinity, Redmi 4, Moto C Plus and 10.Or G or even 10.Or D? Let’s see!!
Smartron t.phone P Specifications
- 5.2-inch (1280 x 720) Full HD IPS display with 2.5D curved glass, 16:9 aspect ratio, 69.57% screen-to-body ratio, 282.42 PPI and a scratch proof layering.
- 64-bit Octa-Core Snapdragon 435 processor clocked 1.4GHz paired with Adreno 505 GPU for graphics
- 3GB RAM and 32GB of internal memory, expandable up to 128GB via microSD card
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) out of the box
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD) and Fingerprint sensor at the rear panel
- 13MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/2.2 aperture, 1.12um pixel and PDAF
- 5MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture and 1.12um pixel
- 5000mAh battery with no support for fast charging
- Dimensions: 148.3×72.2×8.9mm and Weight: 160g
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, GPS/GLONASS, Bluetooth 4.1, Micro USB support and 3.5mm audio jack.
Smartron t.phone P Price And Availability
Priced at Rs. 7,999, Smartron tphone P comes in only a Black color option and will be available exclusively via Flipkart starting from January 17, 2018, in India. There has been no word on any launch offers with the smartphone while the device will be going against some of the best smartphones in this segment.
Smartron t.phone P Review
What we like
- While the device isn’t slippery, those curved edges and sleek built endows a lot of confidence for single-handed usage.
- The display offers great viewing angles but struggles a bit outdoors during multimedia consumption.
- The Snapdragon 435 SoC, 3GB RAM and Adreno 505 GPU, makes up for the best performance package in this segment for heavy gaming as well as multitasking.
- The 13MP rear camera is a thing of beauty, considering the price of Smartron t.phone P as it offers crisp and sharp results while also capturing the most realistic colors.
- Stock Android offers the purest experience for anyone who is looking to buy their first ever Android smartphone.
- The 5000mAh battery is rated to offer standby time for more than 2 days under moderate usage.
What we didn’t like
- No NFC support for UPI based payments.
- Optical Image Optimization (OIS) has been ignored for the cameras
- Thick bezels at the top and bottom.
- The front camera struggles with grains under low lighting conditions.
- No word on an Android Oreo Update.
While the Smartron t.phone P offers nothing new, it still is at par with the competition, both with respect to specifications and pricing. But the one thing that it really impressed us with is the stock Android, which is a blessing for any new smartphone user.